SHARE

A British man was left fighting for his life after being bitten by the UK’s only poisonous snake, the adder. 27-year-old Josh Rose went for a normal family picnic in Twickenham, Middlesex on Saturday. Speaking to The Lad Bible, Rose said:

“The weather was nice so we thought we’d have a day out.” 

“I was just chilling, lying on the grass, and my son was asleep in his pram. There were some dry leaves on the floor, I heard them moving and thought it was a rat or something,” Rose added.

“I didn’t even think it was poisonous, I tried to shoo it away, but it turned and bit me straight away.

“Instantly I knew something was wrong. I felt my watch go tight, within in two minutes I was paralysed and was sick.”

Next thing he knew, Rose was in the hospital after being considered for life-support because his throat had closed. Doctors reportedly spent an hour thinning his blood and pumping him with adrenaline after his heart rate had slowed to just four beats-per-minute. He is doing fine now, however, and is expected to make a full recovery.

“It’ll take me a week or two to get back to normal. I’m tired all the time, and it’s an effort at the moment. It feels like a prolonged hangover. My whole body hurts.”

Lucky man. There have been no reported deaths in the UK from an adder bite in 20 years, though around 100 people are bitten every year across the country. The Forestry Commission states:

The adder is the only venomous snake native to Britain. 

They have the most highly developed venom injecting mechanism of all snakes, but they are not aggressive animals. 

Adders will only use venom as a last means of defence, usually if caught or trodden on. 

No one has died from adder bite in Britain for over 20 years. With proper treatment, the worst effects are nausea and drowsiness, followed by severe swelling and bruising in the area of the bite. 

Stay safe everyone, and get better soon Josh!

LEAVE A REPLY